Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Tropical Pork Kabobs


I have been loving kabobs this summer, I know it can get repetitive and tedious, but it is an all-in-one meal. I am all about that, however, I did want to make it more complete and I added some brown rice. Grilled pineapple is one of my dad's specialties and when I saw that this recipe included it, I knew I would love it. I love the tropical flavors that the pineapple gives off and it reminded me of my love for these Hawaiian Chicken sandwiches, I need to make them soon!

This original recipe called for zucchini, which would have made for a prettier picture, the green instead of more yellow with the squash, but my local grocer was out of them. We have been getting so much rain in North Carolina that my grocer told me that they had been out for a week, because the rain was killing them!
Source: Without Adornment ,via So Tasty, So Yummy

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of Soy Sauce
1/4 cup of Pineapple Juice
1 tablespoon of Rice Wine Vinegar
2 cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon of Chili Garlic Sauce
1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar
1 lb. of Pork Tenderloin, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 Pineapple or 1 20 oz. Can, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 Red Pepper, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 Zucchini, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 lb. of Whole Button Mushrooms

Directions:
First, in a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, pineapple juice, rice wine vinegar, garlic, chili garlic sauce, and brown sugar. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the marinade.

Now, in a large ziplock bag, place the pork and the marinade, keeping the reserved aside. Marinate for 1 hour or more.

When ready for dinner, if you are using wooden skewers, soak for 10 minutes in water. Pre-heat the grill to medium-high heat. Thread the skewers alternatively with pork (discard the marinade the pork was in), pineapple, red pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms. Place the skewers on the grill, baste with the reserved marinade every time you turn the skewers. Cook until the pork is done and has reached an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife

1 comment: