Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Esquites with Avocado


My sister and her boyfriend first had me try "corn in a cup." It was this man that roasted corn and put it in a cup with lots of yummy ingredients and they loved it. I tried a variation with them that was so delicious, but not the same man. I have since learned that "corn in a cup" is esquites, aka warm mexican corn salad. When I saw this recipe, I was smitten. I could not even imagine the greatness that was going to ensue by adding avocado to the mixture. 

This is such a perfect side, it didn't take much work and was still excellent the next day cold. I served these with tacos, but I think it would be equally delicious with grilled chicken. Do not hesitate to make this, make it while summer is still here and all of the ingredients are fresh and at their peak! 
Source: adapted from, Closet Cooking

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of Butter
3 cups of Corn, cut from the cob{about 4 ears}
1/2 of a Jalapeño, seeds and stem removed, diced
3 tablespoons of Mayonnaise
1 clove of Garlic, minced
2 Green Onions, sliced
1 handful of Cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 Lime
2 tablespoons of Cojita or Feta, crumbled
Chili Powder, to taste, I used one teaspoon and added to taste
1 Avocado, diced

Directions:
First, heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn and let it sit, cooking, to get a char on it, stir and let it cook again, this will take about 6-10 minutes.

Now, in a medium bowl, add the corn, jalapeño, mayonnaise, garlic, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, cheese, and chili powder. Stir well to combine; gently fold in the avocado. 

Keep refrigerated until ready to eat. 

Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife


No comments:

Post a Comment