Thursday, August 15, 2013

Asian Meatballs with Lime Sesame Dipping Sauce


I am sure you know, I meal plan every week. I love doing it and it is fun for me. I try to choose meals that Ethan will love, along with a few that I will love and he will tolerate. I thought this would be one of those meals, so I surrounded it with things he would love on either side of the day. I was half right on that, he did question me immediately, what is the ground pork for? After I made the meal, he ate six of these meatballs. Thats right, half of the entire pan. He was talking about how much he loved them and all of the different variations we could do. 

This was one of those meals that after we finished, I called my mom and sister to tell them all about the dinner I had just made, and how much they would love them. These are great leftover and you could even make a double batch of them and freeze them for easy dinner nights. 

These meatballs are packed with lots of flavor from the cilantro, green onions, and sesame oil then you dip them in the sauce which provides a zesty kick. It really is the perfect bite. I can't wait to make these in tablespoon size to add to my freezer stash for party appetizers, I just know they will be a big hit. 
Source: Skinnytaste, originally Gourmet (2007)

Ingredients:

For the Meatballs:
1 1/4 lbs. of Ground Pork, Turkey, or Beef, whichever you prefer, I used pork
1/4 cup of Panko Crumbs
1 Egg
1 teaspoon of Dried Ginger
1 clove of Garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1/4 cup of Cilantro, chopped
3 Scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons of Sesame Oil

For the Dipping Sauce:
4 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons of Sesame Oil
2 tablespoons of Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
2 tablespoons of Water
1 tablespoon of Scallions, chopped

Directions:
First, pre-heat your oven to 500 degrees. 

Now, in a large bowl, mix together the ground pork, panko, egg, ginger, garlic, salt, cilantro, scallions, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Form meatballs with your hands, each should be 1/4 cup of meat mixture. Place in a baking dish large enough for 12 meatballs.

Bake for 15 minutes, put your oven on broil, high for 2 more minutes, to brown the tops.

While they are baking, make the dipping sauce. Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Serve 1-2 tablespoons of the dipping sauce to each person, on the side, for dipping.

Serve the meatballs over white or brown rice with dipping sauce on the side. 

Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife


1 comment: