Thursday, August 1, 2013

Low Country Boil Kabobs


I was born in Louisiana and lived there for the first part of my life. My dad was raised there and my parents met there, it will always hold a special place in my heart and my stomach. I am a ragin' cajun down to the bone. I think that is where my love for spicy food comes from. My dad can put on the best crawfish boil around, with his dad's famous recipe, and with my mom's help with her amazing french bread and mashed red potatoes that come from the boil. It is maybe one of my favorite meals or parties we have. I have not had any cajun food in quite some time and when I saw this recipe, I knew I would love it.

I was right. This kabobs have everything that I love about a crawfish boil, but in a milli-fraction of the time. My favorite part of these was the corn and Ethan's favorite was the sausage. This was a delicious meal that came together in no time! I served this with fresh sliced tomatoes covered in salt and pepper.
Source: Food Network, Paula Deen

Ingredients:
Skewers
6 Baby Red Potatoes or 3 Red Potatoes, cleaned and cut- divide the babies in half or the others into fourths
Kosher Salt
2 tablespoons of Crab Boil Seasoning, such as Old Bay
1 ear of Corn, shucked and cut into 1 inch rounds
Nonstick Spray
4 tablespoons of Butter
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of Hot Sauce, Frank's or Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
10 large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 oz. fully cooked Beef Sausage
Lemon Wedges for serving


Directions:
First, if using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes prior to grilling.

Now, place the potatoes in a pot of water with a big pinch of kosher salt and 1 tablespoon of the crab boil seasoning. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let sit for 5 minutes, add the corn and let sit for 5-7 more minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain and let cool.

Next, coat your grill grates with nonstick spray and pre-heat your grill to medium-high heat.

Now, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. When foaming, add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds-1 minute. Stir in hot sauce and vinegar. Remove from the heat and divide in half and set aside.

Thread the skewers with potatoes, corn, sausage, and shrimp alternatively. Brush one half of the butter sauce on the shrimp and grill 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally.

Serve the skewers with lemon wedges and drizzle with the other half of the butter sauce.
Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment