Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas




I love chicken. It is so versatile and so easy to display huge flavor combinations! I decided on chicken enchiladas. I served these with my version of mexican rice. These is a great and easy week-night meal.

Ingredients:
1 package of chicken- breast or tenderloins
2 cups of your favorite salsa
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup of milk
1/4 cup of heavy cream
2 teaspoons of cumin
2 cups of monterrey jack cheese- shredded
1 cup of sharp cheddar-shredded
1 cup of your favorite cheese for topping- I did half monterrey jack and half sharp cheddar
12 corn tortillas
Source: The Barbee Housewife


For the chicken:
First,I put 8 chicken tenderloins into my crockpot and set it on low. You could swap out the tenderloins for breasts, or whatever you have. I then added my favorite local salsa, garlic salt, cumin, and black pepper to the crockpot and let it simmer on low for 6 hours. Next, I shredded the chicken and let it soak up the juices while I started the enchilada sauce.

For the sauce:
First, take the milk and heavy cream and put in a medium saucepan on low. Add the cumin. Next, when the milk and heavy cream mixture starts to bubble, add the cheese. Stir for about 5-8 minutes until you cheese and liquids have blended well.

For the main dish:
Now, the chicken and the sauce are ready, it's time to put together the enchiladas! First,preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Next, get out a 9x13 pan, spoon half of your enchilada sauce into the pan and spread out. Then, heat up your corn tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave. This will make them much easier to roll.

Put a few spoonfuls of the chicken in each corn tortilla and top with sharp cheddar. Roll them up tightly and place in the pan with the seam side down.

Fill up the entire pan, tightly. Top with the remaining enchilada cheese sauce and spread it out evenly over the enchiladas. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.

Bake for 15 minutes on 350 degrees. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment