Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Homemade Cinnamon Chips


Do you remember that decadent delicious Caramel Latte Bundt Cake that I posted last Friday? If not, just scroll down it is only a few post down. Well, there is a story to go along with that cake. I decided I wanted to make it/had to have it, so I wrote down the ingredients and convinced my husband to go run some errands, promising I only needed 5 things! Well four grocery stores later, I decided I could easily make these homemade and it would be way less hassle. At the last grocery store, I only bought a few extra ingredients to make these cinnamon chips from scratch.

These cinnamon chips were so easy to make, all you do is mix up the ingredients and let them bake. This recipe made 2 cups worth of cinnamon chips and all I can say is, I am glad I only needed 1/3 cup for my cake. These are so delicious and are so versatile, so far I have dropped one in my coffee and topped some ice cream with them! Ethan has eaten quite a few handfuls plain and proclaims they are way better than store bought chips.

I do not think I will ever be purchasing them again, mainly because I drove myself crazy on the search and these are so easy. I told my mom about this escapade and later in the day she sent me a picture of her bag of cinnamon chips from the grocery store in her small town, Texas. Oh well, these are fabulous and I can't wait to try out more yummy things with them!
Source: Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker

Ingredients:
2/3 cup of Sugar
3 tablespoons of Cinnamon
2 tablespoons of Vegetable Shortening
2 tablespoons of Light Corn Syrup

Directions:
First, pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Next, in a medium-sized bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, shortening, and syrup together until combined well and crumbly.

Now, spread this mixture onto your prepared baking sheet. Flatten the mixture out with the back of a spatula or your hands until it is very thin {about 1/4 inch thick} and even thickness throughout.

Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool completely and then use a pizza wheel or knife to cut into small chips. Store in an airtight container until ready for use. They should keep for awhile, just like any other baking chips.

Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this recipe. You're right - cinnamon chips are so hard to find, and the storey I used to get them at closed. I'll definitely have to give these a shot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete