Friday, October 25, 2013

Roasted Apple Sorbet


Honeycrisp apples, is there anything better? Well, I love the pink lady variety of apple, as well, and granny smith. I just love apples and I always have, however, when I spy the first honeycrisp apple of the season, I go a little crazy. I just feel like I NEED them. My mother-in-law was visiting and I wanted to take her to see our fabulous farmer's market. I knew I was going out of town in 2 days, but what did I do? I bought honeycrisp apples and like the irrational person I am, I did not just buy 1 or 2, I bought a huge bag. They were beautiful and I had to have them.

Now, fast forward 2 days, I am about to go out of town and I can not let this apples go to waste. It would be awful. I needed something that wouldn't spoil and go bad for about a week, so I knew it would have to be frozen. Yes, it is fall. Yes, it may be 50 degrees outside at noon, but this sorbet tastes just like fall. Not only does it taste like fall, when you are making it, your whole house smells like fall. Squeal! It is better than any candle I have ever smelled.

This sorbet is the epitome of apple pie for me, it taste like the inside of apple pie all blended up and frozen. Ethan does not share my love for apples, so I rarely make apple pie, which is one of my favorites. This fits the bill right here, whenever I get an urge for apple pie, I can have a spoonful or scoop of this. Pure bliss.
Source: Pink Parsley, originally from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of Apple Cider
1 1/2 lbs. of Apples, I used 6 medium Honey Crisp Apples
1/2 cup of Sugar
1/4 cup of Brown Sugar
1/2 cup of Water
1/4 cup of Light Corn Syrup
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
3 teaspoons of Vanilla Extract

Directions:
First, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Now, put all of the ingredients in a 9x13 inch pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the apples are tender.

Let the mixture cool to room temperature. Blend in a food processor/blend/immersion blender in batches until the mixture is smooth.

Next, strain through a fine mesh sieve.

Cool overnight in the refrigerator.

The next day, churn in your ice cream maker according to the directions. I find the best results if the ice cream bucket has been in the freezer for at least 2 days.

Store in an airtight container in your freezer.

If you want it to taste even more like apple pie, sprinkle a few graham cracker crumbs on top. Yum!

Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment