Thursday, April 18, 2013

Homemade Jamaican Jerk Seasoning


My spice cabinet is overflowing on a daily basis. I am always trying to organize it and it seems that no matter what, one week later, it is back to spices falling on my head when I open the cabinet. I have come up with a semi-solution, which is to stop buying the spices that I will only use for one dish. When I needed jamaican jerk seasoning for the Crock-Pot Jerk Pulled Pork with Caribbean Salsa, I decided enough is enough. I am making my own, so I did. It was perfect and I had all of the seasonings I needed, right in my cabinet. I saved myself some money and some much needed space in my spice cabinet.

I also love that I know exactly what is going into my spice mixture, no crazy preservatives, and you can adjust it to your preferences. If you do not need as much sodium, cut back on the salt, if you want more spice, amp up the dried chile pepper flakes. I love this jerk seasoning, it was so easy to make, and put a unique twist on our food. This recipe will make 1/2 cup of seasoning.
Source: Food Network, Paula Deen

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of Kosher Salt
1 teaspooon of Ground Allspice
1 teaspoon of Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon of Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 teaspoo of Paprika
1/2 teaspoon of Dried Chived
1/2 teaspoon of  Ground Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper, freshly ground
1/2 teapsoon of Ground Ginger
1/4 teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of Ground Cloves
1/4 teaspoon of Dried Thyme

Directions:

Combine all of the ingredients well and store in an airtight container.
Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment