Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Greek Chicken Salad with House Vinaigrette


When we go out to dinner, I often find myself ordering a big salad full of tons of ingredients. Ethan doesn't like salads, so maybe this is why, because I never make them at home. I love these salads that I order, but it seems so overpriced to me! I found the perfect solution with this meal, I cut my chicken breast up and put it on my salad, and served his chicken whole with a few sides. We were both happy.

This greek salad was great it had tons of flavor and was hearty enough to enjoy as dinner. I took the picture and then noticed something was missing, the feta cheese! I am including it in the directions below, because I did actually have it, it just isn't in the picture.

I named this vinaigrette, house vinaigrette, because it doesn't have just one pronounced flavor and you can easily use it on any salad. It is the perfect vinaigrette for any salad.

This salad makes enough for 4 dinner salads with half a chicken breast for each or 2 dinner salads each using one chicken breast. This would also make a great salad for lunch, if there are any leftovers!
Source: For the Love of Cooking

Ingredients for the Salad:
1 teaspoon of Olive Oil
2 Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless, pounded to even thickness
Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Pepper, to taste
Oregano, to taste
Garlic Powder, to taste
4 cups of Romain Lettuce, chopped
2 Baby Bell Peppers, yellow and red
2 tablespoons of Pepperocini slices
2 tablespoons of Kalamata Olives, sliced
2 tablespoons of Feta Cheese

Ingredients for the Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup of Canola Oil
3 tablespoons of Rice Vinegar
1 tablespoon of Red Wine Vinegar
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of Sugar
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Directions:
For the vinaigrette, whisk all of the ingredients together. This vinaigrette gets better as it sits to let the flavors meld together, so I recommend at least making it an hour before eating it on the salad.

Next, pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.

Now, heat the olive oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.

While the oil is heating, season your chicken. I liberally sprinkled the salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder evenly over both sides of the chicken. Place the chicken in the hot skillet and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cooked is cooked and registers 165 degrees internally. Transfer the chicken to a plate or cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.

While the chicken is baking and cooling, prepare your salad. Place the lettuce in a large bowl, top with bell peppers, pepperocini slices, kalamata olives, feta cheese, place the sliced chicken on top when ready. Drizzle with vinaigrette.


Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment