Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sriracha Hummus


Okay, I really like hummus. I really do, but I usually just buy it at the grocery store, which I have always thought was excellent. I loved the flavors, supremely spicy, roasted red pepper, chipotle, etc, but when I saw this recipe I stopped in my tracks. Sriracha! Really? Yum! This hummus has excellent sriracha flavor, unlike those Lay's chips, which do not have enough flavor at. all.

This was really easy to make. However, there was one small task that took a little time, but makes all the difference. Peeling the chickpeas! There is a small outer layer on the chickpeas that you can squeeze off of them and will result in the creamiest, smoothest hummus you have ever laid you eyes, tongue?, on!

You can enjoy this hummus with your favorite dipping snacks, carrots, celery, pretzels, naan, whatever you like or you can use it on a spread for your favorite sandwich. Both are excellent. This hummus tastes excellent the next day, but after that, I have no idea. It did not last that long!
Source: Budget Bytes

Ingredients:
1 can of Chickpeas, 15 oz.
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil, + another 1/4-1/2 cup
1/4 cup of Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 cup of Tahini, this is ground sesame seeds and can be found near the Asian cooking supplies
1 clove of Garlic
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1/4 teaspoon of Cumin
2 tablespoons of Sriracha

Directions:
First, drain the chickpeas and rinse well. Now peel your chickpeas, pinch the outer skin off of each chickpea. Yes, this is tedious. Yes, you really need to do it.

Now, put the chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic clove, salt, cumin, and sriracha into your food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth, adding more olive oil if needed. I added 1/4 cup more, for a creamier texture add 1/2 cup more, total.

Taste and adjust, if you want it spicier, add more sriracha. I drew a little star on top of the serving bowl, so I had a little extra in each bite!

Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment