Monday, February 25, 2013

Tomato-Basil Soup


There is a blizzard in West Texas and I am right in the middle of it. Are you wondering if you just read that right, blizzard and West Texas in the same sentence. It is true and it is crazy! The wind is always strong and wild out here, but with the snow, it is a dangerous mixture. I have stayed holed up inside all day, safe with my fur babies. We needed a comforting meal tonight and this is it. It is hearty and will keep us warm.

I am obsessed with tomato basil soup, and not just any tomato basil soup, the one from La Madeline. The worst part about being obsessed with this soup is that it would take me 5 hours to get to the closest one. Yeah, that is so bad.

I have been on the search to make the perfect tomato basil soup, one that could just come close to being as good as La Madeline's. I found it, and I think it is better. It is perfect. This is not just another copy-cat recipe, it is better than the original. It is so creamy and delicious. The best part? It is super cheap to make, not to mention easy. Another bonus, Ethan likes it! I was shocked when I found out that he too, liked tomato basil soup. I served this with sliced french baguette topped with sharp white cheddar cheese.
Source: Houston Press

Ingredients:
4 cups of Whole, Peeled, Canned Tomatoes, crushed
4 cups of Tomato Juice
12-14 Basil Leaves, fresh
1 cup of Heavy Cream
1 stick of Butter, unsalted
1/4 teaspoon of Cracked Black Pepper

Directions:
First, in a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes and juice together. Simmer for 30 minutes. Let the soup cool slightly.

Next, puree the soup with the basil leaves in small batches in a blender/food processor/or using an immersion blender.

Now, return the soup to the saucepan and add the cream and butter, stir over low heat until the cream and butter and incorporated well.

Serve with warm crusty bread, grilled cheese, or cheese quesadilla.

Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment