Friday, November 8, 2013

Flat-Roasted Chicken with Tiny Potatoes


I want to kick myself for waiting so long to make this recipe. Let's be honest, I was a little intimidated by it. I had never spatchcocked a chicken or even roasted a whole chicken. I wrote it off as not being made because I couldn't find tiny potatoes. Low and behold, I was in the grocery store and spotted tiny potatoes, I knew what had to be done. I picked up a whole chicken and some fresh thyme and added it to my cart, it was officially on the meal plan. In typical Caroline fashion, this was also going to be served to guests.

If you can't find tiny potatoes, don't let that stop you, just cut up some small potatoes. You could also cut up some sweet potatoes, green beans, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, to add in with the potatoes to roast to make this a complete meal. I made some simple green beans and homemade biscuits to round our meal out.

I could not believe how easy this meal was. If you are feeling nervous about the spatchcocking, watch a youtube video first. I just got to cutting and found it fairly easy and this was without my kitchen shears! I am going to remedy that today. Once you get past the spatchcocking, this meal is so, so, so easy.

The simple flavors are divine. I can't wait to try more variations of roasted chickens. Flat-roasing the chicken will give you a much quicker cook time, which makes it easier to have on a weeknight. In fact, I think this is a perfect weeknight meal. You throw everything in one pan and bake 35-45 minutes, easy peasy.
Source: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, by Deb Perelman 

Ingredients:
3-3.5 lb. Chicken
Kosher Salt & Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
1 1/2 pounds Tiny Potatoes
2 tablespoons of Melted Butter or Olive Oil
1 Lemon
1 tablespoon of Thyme, fresh

Directions:
First, pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees.

Now, using a sharp pair of kitchen shears, cut the backbone from the chicken. Sprinkle the cavity generously with salt and pepper, flip over into an iron skillet and sprinkle the top with lots of salt and pepper.

Next, nestle the potatoes in around the chicken, drizzle with melted butter or olive oil.

Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the chicken registers at 165 degrees internal temperature and is cooked thoroughly.

Finish the dish by squirting the juice of one lemon over the chicken and topping with fresh thyme.

Cut the chicken in half across the breast, and the legs and wings off the side.

Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife


1 comment:

  1. This looks wonderful and so comforting! I love your photo :)

    ReplyDelete