Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Parmesan Roasted Broccoli



I am sure you have noticed that I do not have many side dishes on my blog. It is pretty apparent that I spend my time thinking about which dessert I am going to make Ethan next, or what we are going to have for dinner. I almost always end up steaming broccoli or doing a quick sauté on mushrooms or asparagus and the even more often side spinach salad. Don't get me wrong, I love my little side salad. It would not be a trip to the grocery store without my little bag of organic baby spinach, but I realized my sides needed some work.

Roasting vegetables is a quick way to infuse more flavor into them. You can roast them with different spices to match the main dish or just do a simple roast with just olive oil, salt, and pepper.

This broccoli was roasted the simple way with olive oil, salt, and pepper but, as soon as it came out of the oven it turned magical. Cheese does that my friends. It seems like loading broccoli with cheese would defeat the purpose of eating fresh vegetables, but not when you use parmesan. Parmesan has a strong flavor and provides a nuttiness that the fresh broccoli needs. Parmesan is a great cheese to use on this dish because just a little bit of the cheese will provide all of the flavor you need.
Source: Fort Mill SC Living

Ingredients:

1 head of Broccoli, cut into florets
1 1/2 tablespoon of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 teaspoon of Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Pepper, I love pepper, you can start with a scant 1/4 if that pepper suits your taste
2 tablespoons of Parmesan Cheese, grated

Directions:

First, pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.

Next, toss the broccoli with the olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread on a rimmed baking sheet.

Now, roast for 12 minutes or until the broccoli is tender and lightly browned.

Finally, toss with the grated cheese and serve.

Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
The Barbee Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment